You might be using your HP laptop for a long and it has not created any problems since then. But with the passage of time or because of certain updates, the settings have been customized in such a way that you are unable to access some of the functions of it. At times, you might come across problems like “HP touchpad not working” or “HP Laptop mouse pad is not working”. If you are using Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, then you might face this problem so often.
This usually happens because of the outdated, corrupted, or mismatched touchpad drivers or because of the incorrect configuration, physical key, corrupt system files, etc. In this situation, you can perform the following workarounds and get rid of the issue easily. You can also use HP Scan Doctor to fix some of the minor problems with your HP devices.
Steps to fix HP touchpad not working
Some of the simple and easy-to-follow workarounds are given below which will help you to get rid of the issue within a few minutes:
Try to update the touchpad driver
To download the latest drivers for your TouchPad, you can use the following steps:
- Begin by navigating to the support page of HP – https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers.
- Here, go to the “Software and Driver Downloads” page.
- When you see a page that says “Let’s identify your product to get started”, click on the “Laptop” option.
- Here, you have to enter the model number of your devices such as HP Envy, EliteBook, or Pavilion x 360.
- After this, press the “Submit” button and then you will be redirected to a new page where you will see a list of the matching products.
- Here, you have to choose “Driver – Keyboard, Mouse, and Input Devices” from the list of available software and driver categories.
- In this step, click on the “Download” option available next to the “TouchPad or ClickPad” driver.
- When the file is downloaded to the “Downloads” folder, double-click on it.
- This action will install the latest drivers for your HP laptop or desktop.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the latest drivers.
Use the “Settings” menu to enable the TouchPad
- In the first step, hit the “Windows Key + I” on your keyboard.
- After this, go to the “Devices” option and click on the menu that appears on the leftside.
- From here, click on the “Touchpad” option.
- Do not forget to turn on the toggle which is present under the Touchpad
- In the end, restart your PC tosave the changes.
Fix HP laptop mouse not working
Just like your TouchPad or keyboard stops responding, the mouse also might not respond whenever you connect it with your HP laptop or desktop. Here is how you can fix the issue immediately.
Reinstall the Mouse Driver
- Navigate to the “Control panel” of your device.
- From here, click on the “Mice and other pointing devices” to expand this tab.
- Right-click on “touchpad device” and click on “Uninstall”.
- When the confirmation screen appears, select “Yes”.
- Restart your device and install the drivers again from the official website of HP.
Read – https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-and-mouse-not-working-on-hp-laptop/
What does HP touchpad indicator lights mean?
Many HP series such as HP Probook come pre-equipped with the indicator lights. These lights change their color according to the status of your touchpad. When you see the yellow light blinking or the orange/blue light is ON, then it means that your touchpad is locked. This means that your touchpad is disabled and you cannot use it. It doesn’t mean that there is an error and hence you need not worry about it. To enable the touchpad, you can double-tap on the sensors and start using the touchpad again. If you are unable to change some of the settings of your device, then you may contact HP Support executives who will sort out your problems in no time.