This article highlights why your HP laptop or HP Pavilion is plugged in but not charging. Also, you will get to know the various troubleshooting methods with which you can get rid of the charging issue. There are some checks which you can do to know the reason behind the issue. This is done because without knowing the reason you cannot find out a perfect solution for getting rid of any issue. You can simply resolve the problem by just checking Windows 10 or Windows 8 power settings which we are going to learn in the next section.
How to fix HP laptop plugged in not charging Windows 10?
As it is already mentioned, that checking Windows power settings will definitely make a big change in the functioning of your battery. To do this;
- First of all, open the “Settings” of your HP laptop.
- From here, click on the “Power and Sleep” present in the panel at the left.
- Here, you have to check the values in the “Screen” as well as the “Sleep” menus.
- You are suggested to ensure that the values are not too low. E.g. choose values for system inactivity when turned on.
- Further, you have to scroll down and locate the “Additional” power settings followed by clicking on it. This will bring the list of your power plans.
- Further, click on the “Change” option available next to your current plan.
- Ensure that no settings are done in such a way that it makes your PC shut down unexpectedly.
- Again, tap on the option that reads “Change advanced power settings”. You may find it near the bottom of the power plan.
- You may also choose to restore to default settings but doing so will remove the additional power settings you have made.
- Further, click on the “OK” button to save your changes. To complete this task, you may be required to restart your system.
If the problem persists, you may take help from the expert technicians available at the HP Support helpdesk.
Why is my HP laptop battery not charging?
There might be various reasons why your HP laptop is plugged in not charging. You might have not plugged in the charger correctly or there might be a fault with the power socket. To fix this issue, you may perform some checks and one of them is checking the integrity of the battery. You can check the power adapter by removing the battery and plugging in the power cable to the laptop. If the laptop powers on without any altercations, it means the fault lies with the battery itself.
Other ways to fix HP laptop battery not charging when plugged in
There are some other workarounds to get rid of the issue which has been explained here:
- You may try to plug your HP laptop into another power outlet after waiting for a few minutes and see if the laptop is charging or not. If it starts to charge, then the fault is not with the laptop, charger or battery.
- Closely examine the charging adapter and check the entire length of its cord. There might be some tears, dents, etc. If you notice anything of this kind, try replacing the adapter with the new one. If the new adapter charges your laptop, it means the adapter was faulty.
- Check the power jack on the HP laptop and also check if the adapter is connected to your laptop properly. The adapter should not jiggle or fall out of the jack. If it does, take the laptop to a repair shop for a proper diagnosis so that you can use your laptop once again.
If none of the above-given methods work, then it is the perfect time for the replacement of the battery. When you insert a newly purchased battery in the laptop, your laptop will start to charge and work properly. You should purchase the hardware from a reputed supplier because only the original adapter will increase the battery life of your laptop.
Read related article – How to fix a Windows 10 laptop that’s plugged in but isn’t charging?